Replace Old Wiring
This is perhaps one of the most important things that you can do. If your home is older than 25 years, then you should immediately consider replacing the old wiring. In fact, research shows that homes older than 40 years are more susceptible to crumbling insulation, faulty switches, and frayed wiring. When too much current passes, they can get overloaded and melt causing a fire. Make sure that you replace old wiring with modern copper circuits with the help of an electrician.
Avoid Overloading Your Extension Cords
Of course, you would say isn?t that what electrical extension cords are for. But it is better not to overburden them with drink mixers, power saws, etc. You should always keep in mind that electrical appliances and tools have different power ratings, and extension cords are created differently and vary in their capacity. That means if you are using an improperly sized extension cord with a high-powered tool or appliance, you are putting yourself in a dangerous situation. Too much electrical current passing through extension cords can also affect the tools. You might also want to consider replacing a damaged appliance or tool before using them. And when shopping for extension cords, make sure that the wire is big enough.
Install a Lightning Protection System
If you live in regions which are prone to thunder and lightning storms, you should consider lightning protection systems. These systems are designed by electrical companies in India to intercept lightning and channel the electrical energy from it to safe discharging. This is commonly referred to as grounding. Commonly used material includes copper and its alloys because they are safer and resist corrosion. Make sure you ask an electrician to install the protection system.Non-copper wiring materials that can corrode fail under pressure and make your home susceptible to damage.
Stay Away from Wet Areas
Water and electrical equipment don?t mix. Keep grounded areas, kitchens, and baths protected by fault circuit interrupters. These are usually installed near dishwashers and sinks. You should always check if their retest buttons are working properly. It is also a good idea to ask your electrician to inspect all electrical outlets in your home.
Reduce Excessive Temperatures
This is particularly common during hot, summer days. If the wires are buried in one part of the home and pass over light fixates, they could become hotter in the summer. The copper conductors are usually safe in such a circumstance but the surrounding wires and jacketing can become a problem. They can heat up and lead to fires. To safeguard your home against electrical hazards, make sure you buy your wiring and accessories from the best electrical companies in India.
The 'Havell's' trademark is a property of Havell's Industries (now Havells India Limited) and we, our Promoters and members of our Promoter Group are not associated in any manner with Havells India Limited or its promoters.